Research & Development Engineer / Scientist
Position is located in McKinney, Texas
This position is responsible for providing technical services and product development to customers of Manner Polymers for direct support of product sales. Perform guided and independent work to support new product introductions and troubleshoot applications for customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare polymer formulations with laboratory equipment to meet specific objectives.
- Test laboratory scale samples and new production trial samples for physical and chemical properties.
- Collect and record test data and observations and provide summaries and interpretation of work.
- Communicate conclusions and observations to management and peers.
- Collaborate with members from other departments for the commercial scale introduction of new products.
- Assist customers with evaluations of new products.
- Evaluate competitive products.
- Evaluate new raw materials.
- Provide technical support to customers with written and verbal communication.
- Assist customers on their factory floor with processing of Manner Polymers’ products.
- Build strong working relationships with customer contacts.
- Participate at periodic customer meetings with Sales & Marketing department.
- Prepare trip reports for all customer visits.
- Collect test data in an orderly fashion and provide written reports to direct supervisor.
- Perform diagnostic testing of customer equipment.
- Assist Manner Polymers’ Quality department with non-routine customers concerns.
- Assist Manufacturing and Quality departments with internal troubleshooting.
- Maintain and improve laboratory test equipment and sample preparation methods.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, or Physics required
- Minimum 4 years experience in chemistry, physics, engineering, materials, polymer science and polymer processing
- Proficiency with laboratory equipment to measure properties of liquids or solids
- Hands-on laboratory experience in either in a product development, analytical services, physical testing, or quality control department
- Proficiency with methods for Physical Chemistry, including methods such as spectroscopy, chromatography, calorimetry, or other analytical methods of material characterization
- Experience with standard test methods for materials (ASTM, ISO, and others)
- Experienced in interactions with regulatory agencies, such as UL, NSF, FDA, and others
- Plastics processing (such as injection molding, extrusion, thermoforming)preferred
- Familiarity with polymer additives and chemical modification of polymers
- Specific experience with chemical or polymer mixing, compounding, alloying, or blending
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to travel domestically and internationally for periods up to one or two weeks
This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Other duties may be assigned, or this job description can be modified or amended at any time.