Senior Laboratory Technician
Responsible for performing directed research/ development and product testing of polymer-based mixtures and blends. This will include formulation and prototyping work using polymer processing equipment, polymer testing, and close collaboration with staff engineers, process engineers, customers, and suppliers. This position reports to the Senior Technical Engineer.
Manner Polymers is a flexible PVC compound manufacturer that continually strives for perfection. It is through hard work and pride by all associates that drives our success and is the foundation for a fulfilling and rewarding work environment. Our strong focus on preventive planning and error proofing aides in our drive for growth and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare polymer formulations with laboratory equipment as directed by the supervisor.
- Test laboratory scale samples and new production trial samples for physical and chemical properties, as directed by the supervisor.
- Collect and record test data and observations and provide summaries and interpretation of work to the supervisor.
- Collaborate with members from other departments for the commercial scale introduction of new products.
- Evaluate new raw materials in product formulations, as directed.
- Provide on-the-floor support for manufacturing group for production scale trials of modified and new product formulations.
- Provide support to technical group for customer technical service work.
- Test properties of products for customer specifications, as directed.
- Evaluate competitive products, as directed.
- Demonstrate precise and accurate laboratory skills to prepare and test polymer formulations.
- Collect test data in an orderly fashion and provide written reports to direct supervisor.
- Produce internal project status reports for activities.
- Detailed record keeping and general laboratory upkeep.
- Provide technical training to Quality Control personnel for laboratory procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, or Physics preferred
- 2-4 years’ experience in chemistry, plastics, or relevant experience
- Experience with laboratory equipment to measure properties of liquids or solids
- Hands-on laboratory experience required with either analytical testing, physical testing, or quality control methods
- Experience with methods for Physical Chemistry, including methods such as spectroscopy, calorimetry, or other analytical methods of material characterization
- Familiarity with standard test methods for materials (ASTM, ISO, and others)
- Experience with statistics, design of experiments, and analysis of variance
- Proficiency with laboratory equipment to measure properties of liquids or solids
This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Other duties may be assigned, or this job description can be modified or amended at any time.
Upload your resume now to be considered for future openings at Manner Polymers