R&D Technical Associate
Responsible for performing directed research, development, and product testing of polymer-based mixtures and blends. This position will also provide formulation and prototyping work using polymer processing equipment, polymer testing, and close collaboration with staff engineers, quality control, and manufacturing staff. This position reports to the Vice President Product Technology.
Manner Polymers is a flexible PVC compound manufacturer that continually strives for perfection. It is through hard work and pride by all associates that drives our success and is the foundation for a fulfilling and rewarding work environment. Our strong focus on preventive planning and error proofing aides in our drive for growth and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare polymer formulations with laboratory equipment as directed by the supervisor.
- Test laboratory scale samples and new production trial samples for physical and chemical properties, as directed by the supervisor.
- Collect and record test data and observations and provide summaries and interpretation of work to the supervisor.
- Evaluate new raw materials in product formulations, as directed.
- Provide support to Technical Engineers for customer technical service work.
- Test properties of products for customer specifications, as directed.
- Evaluate competitive products, as directed.
- Demonstrate precise and accurate laboratory skills to prepare and evaluate polymer formulations.
- Collect test data in an orderly fashion.
- Produce internal project status reports for activities.
- Detailed record keeping and general laboratory upkeep.
- Assist Manufacturing and Quality department with internal troubleshooting.
- Assist Manner Polymers Quality department with non-routine customers concerns.
- Maintain and improve characterization and sample preparation equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of associate degree in a relevant field of chemistry, biology/bio-chemistry, physics, engineering, materials, polymer science, plastics processing, or chemical manufacturing
- Experience with laboratory equipment to measure properties of liquids or solids
- Hands-on laboratory experience with analytical testing, physical testing, or quality control methods
- Familiarity with standard test methods for materials (ASTM, ISO, and others)
- Experience with computer-based analysis of data, such as spreadsheet calculations
- Experience with plastics processing preferred (such as injection molding, extrusion, thermoforming)
- Familiarity with chemical mixing and blending processes
- Specific experience with polymer compounding, alloying, or blending
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Other duties may be assigned, or this job description can be modified or amended at any time.