R&D Laboratory Technician
Responsible for performing directed research, development, and product testing of polymer-based mixtures and lends. This position will also provide formulation and prototyping work using polymer processing equipment, polymer testing, and close collaboration with staff engineers, quality control, and manufacturing staff. This position reports to the Vice President Product Technology.
Manner Polymers is a flexible PVC compound manufacturer that continually strives for perfection. It is through hard work and pride by all associates that drives our success and is the foundation for a fulfilling and rewarding work environment. Our strong focus on preventive planning and error proofing aides in our drive for growth and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare polymer formulations with laboratory equipment as directed by the supervisor.
- Test laboratory scale samples and new production trial samples for physical and chemical properties, as directed by the supervisor.
- Collect and record test data and observations and provide summaries and interpretation of work to the supervisor.
- Collaborate with members from other departments for the commercial scale introduction of new products.
- Evaluate new raw materials in product formulations, as directed.
- Maintain non-QC analytical and characterization equipment (GC, FTIR, Viscosity, and others).
- Develop, improve, and document new test methods with analytical equipment.
- Maintain and operate processing trials with equipment in the Applications Laboratory (extrusion, injection molding, and other commercial scale equipment).
- Prepare and test validation samples to ensure test methods remain reliable and consistent.
- Provide on-the-floor support for manufacturing group for production scale trials of modified and new product formulations.
- Provide recommended products for Technical Service Requests from sales department.
- Provide support to Technical Engineers for customer technical service projects.
- Test properties of products for customer specifications, as directed.
- Evaluate competitive products, as directed.
- Demonstrate precise and accurate laboratory skills to prepare and test polymer formulations.
- Collect test data in an orderly fashion and provide written reports to direct supervisor.
- Demonstrate detailed record keeping and general laboratory upkeep.
- Produce internal project status reports for activities.
- Assist Manufacturing and Quality department with internal troubleshooting.
- Assist Manner Polymers Quality department with non-routine customers concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of associate degree in a relevant field of chemistry, biology/bio-chemistry, physics, engineering, materials, polymer science, plastics processing, or chemical manufacturing
- Experience with laboratory equipment to measure properties of liquids or solids. Hands-on laboratory experience required with either with analytical testing, physical testing, or quality control methods
- Experience with methods for Physical Chemistry, including methods such as spectroscopy, calorimetry, or other analytical methods of material characterization
- Familiarity with standard test methods for materials (ASTM, ISO, and others)
- Experience with statistics, design of experiments, and analysis of variance
- Plastics processing (such as injection molding, extrusion, thermoforming)
- Polymer additives and chemical modification of polymers
- Specific experience with polymer compounding, alloying, or blending
- Background in manufacturing operations, shop-floor experience, or demonstrated capability to work with shop-floor personnel with manufacturing equipment
- Capability to understand machine operation and provide directions to operators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Other duties may be assigned, or this job description can be modified or amended at any time.